The next time you run out of your favorite moisturizer, we dare you to make our DIY cream and tell us how superior it is in every way (compared to most plastic bottles of industrial garbage you can find at the drugstore.) You can essentially mix any variation of organic butters and oils and create something amazing. Most raw ingredients can be found on Amazon, at Whole Foods, or from Mountain Rose Herbs. The only supplies you need are the raw ingredients, a glass container, like a mason jar (or even a bowl!) a burner, a small pot or saucepan, and a spoon. Making homemade cream is easier than cooking dinner! Especially if you can convince someone to use it for a nice, long massage...
- 1/4 CUP SHEA BUTTER
- 1/4 CUP BEESWAX
- 1/4 CUP SWEET ALMOND OIL
- 1/4 CUP OLIVE OIL
- 10 DROPS ESSENTIAL OIL OF YOUR CHOICE (OPTIONAL)
Note: You can totally substitute the olive oil for any rich, organic oil (like sesame or jojoba or coconut or avocado oil!)
- Clean your jar, bowl, or bottle of your choice
- Measure all of the ingredients (except the essential oils,) into your preferred glass container
- Heat a little water in the saucepan or pot, and add the closed container to it, so it functions as a double boiler (you can also add ingredients directly into a pot and slowly heat it on low, but using a double boiler approach prevents the ingredients from burning.)
- Mix the ingredients as they melt together
- After everything is completely melted, carefully take the jar out of the water
- Stir the mixture and add essential oils if you want a scented cream
- Let the cream cool for about an hour, or place it in the fridge to speed up the process.
- For best results, shake the jar every 20 minutes until it solidifies.
And don't forget to tell us what you think! Post a photo of your homemade cream on Instagram and use the hashtag #DIYtruthbeauty so we can share your creations with the world!